Award-winning, Brooklyn, New York-based indie publisher Forward Comix has announced an open call for entries for the anthology Gwan. If you are an independent comic book artist, inker, writer or colorist and you’ve been trying to find ways to promote your work and get published you should definitely check this out because if chosen, your work will DEFINITELY be published.
No Kickstarter. No perks. No printing or marketing fees. Just PUBLISHED.
Gwan (Jamaican patois for “go on”) has a very specific theme. The anthology will be a collection of creator-owned short graphic stories based on cultural fusion. The anthology will highlight and celebrate work that expresses both the joys and the challenges of the immigrant/expat experience. It is open to all genres: sci-fi, fantasy, slice of life, fiction as well as non-fiction. Your story must be about a character or characters who are no longer living where they grew up. (Characters don’t have to be living in the US, New York or even on this planet.)
Jerome Walford, President of Forward Comix and the award-winning graphic-novel series Nowhere Man hails from Jamaica and is excited about the venture. “Forward Comix has a strong commitment to excellence and passion and wishes to see more diversity, better understanding and care for the world in which we live. I’m really excited to see what the anthology artists come up with.”
Gwan is a multicultural work and therefore, is looking for entries from various ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds. So far, 5 artists, Miguel Guerra, Jacques Nyemb, Selina Briggs, Ramon Gil and Walford himself are hard at work on projects. Forward Comix is looking for several more artists to complete the Gwan anthology and that’s why they’ve launched an open call. I can relate to the subject matter (my mom is from Bermuda and my Dad was from the US) and personally, I look forward to this anthology. The concept of cultural fusion is often overlooked or confused with “mixed heritage” and I applaud Walford for exploring the topic in a graphic medium.
To enter you MUST get your name or your team’s name on the Expected Entry List.
Expected Entry List Requirements:
- Submit a PDF to the link below of your story title and name(s) of the creative team.
- DO NOT SEND A SCRIPT OR SUMMARY
- Once you have entered, you will be contacted by someone from Forward Comix if they have questions or comments so that you can make a Final Submission correctly.
Final Submission Requirements:
YOU MUST ALREADY BE ON THE EXPECTED ENTRY LIST IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED
Early Submission Deadline – December 20, 2015
- Final Submission Deadline – March 15, 2016
- 8-page story plus a cover and team profile page
- Cover page
- Team profile page
- Stories and characters must be original.
- Creative teams retain all rights to their story and characters.
- Quality of art and storytelling must meet a professional standard.
- No gratuitous violence or sex, this anthology is meant for a wide audience.